A digital strategy for the council to improve outcomes for residents of Blaenau Gwent by exploiting the opportunities digital can offer.
An understanding of the landscape that underpins existing service delivery and developing capability to build a user centred approach to building better options for residents to interact with the council.
What was the challenge
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council has an ambition to use digital and associated changes to their ways of working to better meet the needs of its residents and improve the council’s overall services and performance. They are developing their approach to transformation based on a move to user led service design, digital technologies and thinking, coupled with a more iterative and responsive delivery model. Perago supported the programme discovery work and helped develop a roadmap to bring about the changes needed. The key focus was on introducing changes in three areas:
- User centered service design
- Service led governance
- Scalable and adaptable technologies
What we did
- Worked with the senior leadership team to establish their priorities in terms of improving the outcomes for residents of the area balanced with the need for realising efficiencies.
- Worked with the existing teams and supply chain to define the services on offer to residents and the channels available.
- Introduced the council to a user centred design approach and more agile delivery methods.
- Explored modern technology choices and worked with vendors to define product roadmaps and adoption plans.
- Looked at governance mechanisms and options for organisation design that would exploit digital products and create a culture of continuous improvement based on user needs.
- Inspired a culture that is happy to challenge existing service delivery methods and operating models.
- Developed a strategy and approach to adopting user centred service delivery
- Developed a roadmap of covering improvements to user facing services, building staff capability and proactive management of vendors and technical products
- Inspired the team to look at opportunities to explore new ways of working, using more agile methods and new opportunities